Are Freelance or Remote Jobs Hard to Find?

Does it feel like it’s hard to find freelance/remote jobs? If you are a full-time freelancer, you will find that not only are you responsible for delivering high-quality service to your customers but you also must constantly be prospecting for new clients.

Since your next month’s work is never guaranteed, I have included a few tips in this article for how you can make finding freelance jobs easier.


Expand Your Network

As a full-time freelancer, you typically wear many hats. You are the marketing department, sales department, and finance department. With each client you close, be sure to ask for a referral. If the client feels certain that you can help solve their problems, then referring their friends to you should be a no-brainer. If it isn’t, then that’s a problem.

Whenever you are outsourcing some smaller tasks of your business to other freelancers, make sure to keep them in your network. Find great freelancers who you trust and give them work that you aren’t doing. Get the word out to them that you are looking to expand your network and are always open to taking on new clients. They can refer you for clients they don’t want to take on themselves.


Apply the 80/20 rule to Prospecting

For every 80% of the time you are working and serving your clients, the other 20% of your time should be spent looking for new clients. This percentage can differ depending on the situation, especially when you are first starting out and don’t have clients or you are overloaded with clients and are behind on deadlines. 

If your own personal network isn’t giving you the clients you need through word-of-mouth, go out and search for new clients on various job boards.


Use Freelance Job Marketplaces

There are some extremely popular freelance marketplaces where businesses will post tasks they need to be completed and freelancers will send proposals on those tasks. Get together a solid profile and start sending proposals for jobs you can do well at.

Upwork is one of the most popular freelance platforms. To start applying for jobs, freelancers must create a profile describing their skills and experiences in detail. Also, be sure to include a relevant portfolio of your best work. 


Browse Job Boards

Although not the most effective approach, you may still be successful browsing for jobs on websites like LinkedIn and Glassdoor. With these sites, most job posters are looking for employees within their locations, but if you filter down your search and look for positions that are specifically remote you may find some good opportunities.


Be Persistent and Do Great Work

No matter what jobs you end up getting, your reputation as a freelancer is very important. Always do your best to leave a client better than when you found them. Solve the problem they came to you for, and you can bet that when they need your services they won’t hesitate in returning.

Don’t give up on the job search. It can be discouraging constantly looking for clients, especially when you have other clients you are responsible for. Continue to apply and look for jobs and with time and persistence, you will get a more consistent flow of clients each month.

Want to learn more about getting consistent work? Our course Freelancer Masterclass was designed for freelancers who want to get more clients and never have low months. To learn more about how this course can make a life-changing impact on your career, click here.

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Leave a Comment